Sunday, September 8, 2013

Classroom Set Up

Here is a peek into my classroom!  After ten years of a Monkey theme in the younger grades I decided to go with something new.  So this year I decided to go with a Twitter bird/love bird type theme.

This collage shows my birdies I created.  I chose to make them myself out of felt.  Though there are some super cute options out there like the Boho Birds, I wanted something with texture.  I decorated around my birds with toile and scrapbook flowers.

This is my DOJO board that I'm using.  It still needs some work and some polish to it.  My kids are loving the DOJO app though.  If you haven't checked it out yet go to www.classdojo.com.  Follow my blog to find free uploaded DOJO goal setting papers etc. (I will have them up soon!)

Our third grade teachers team teach on our campus.  This means that I get to teach math all day.  It is lots of fun to have 90 minutes a day to plan and to really make good solid lessons for my kiddos. However, as I decided how to organize my class, I decided that I might need to make some changes from my past procedures to make it more conducive to have students rotate.  I decided to use bookcases at the end of each group.

I initially expected shelving to be very expensive. However, after going to Walmart, I found that I could get book cases for less than $20 each!  So thanks to my awesome husband (who assembled them) I have book cases at the end of each group.  I house all our supplies in the book case.  Students keep their binder in their desk as they come in each day and a pencil box.  Our pencil boxes do not hold supplies, but rather hold our different strategy cards that we use.

 
These are just a few of the Pinterest projects I completed this summer for my number room.  I write notes on the plastic plate by the door to remind me what to do.  And then I have my who is out of the room board that I made using numbers so that no matter what class I have I can use the same board.
 
When students came for meet the teacher they received a treat (on the bottom right hand corner) attached to their Welcome packet.
 
On the top left you can see my no sew curtains I made using a little fabric and some fabric glue.
 
Finally on the top right you can see my data wall and part of my board.  Data is very important to tracking success and I use this board by my small group area to track class and individual success.  I'll revisit it as I start putting things on it.

 

 
I'm very excited about this board.  I have to give props to my fellow teacher Megan.  She has it up on her wall and I copied it.  (Best form of flattery right?)  I created my Thinking Cap Kid out of construction paper and then typed the questions and printed them.  The thinking questions are great thinking stems for students to use when working in groups and in problem solving.  It helps me remember to ask as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment