Monday, September 30, 2013

Problem Solving Games

As I entered the year, I promised myself that I would find ways to make problem solving fun for my kids.  Its so easy to get caught up in the every day question and answer on a worksheet format.  I've done several things to keep my kids up and moving this while still problem solving.

One "game" we play is Traveling questions.  This simply put means that we solve word problems in partners while rotating.  To use traveling questions I place multiple copies of one question at a table group.  The kids work in teams to solve the questions.  I use cooperative learning groups so I change up the responsibility of each group member as we switch. The group is given about 5 minutes to read and solve individually.  Then they share their answer and decide if they agree or disagree on their choice.  Finally they write an answer that is agreed upon and when they are done they put their heads down so I know they are ready to switch.  Once all the groups are ready we stand up and "travel" to the next question.  By the time they finish they have answered five questions and have their answers recorded and we then go over the problems together and check their work.  I am finding this to be most helpful in getting them excited to solve and up and moving.

Here are some of my students answering a question while playing Traveling Questions.  This particular time they glued the questions down to large chart paper and then solved.
 
I've also done this using Post-It notes and then come place the Post-It note on the board under the question they are solving from the book or worksheet.
 
 

Does anyone else have a way that they practice problem solving questions?  I'd love more ideas!  I will add more as time goes on and I try and create others.

No comments:

Post a Comment